11/15/2006
"There was suffering down there. There was sickness."

Hi,

Is anyone planning on returning to the abortion clinic again any time soon? Last week, I went down with my two sons, my mother, my brother, his son and the
St. Ann crew, and we were really impacted by being there.

Naomi, the Associate Director of High School Ministry for my parish, has encouraged me to go for a long time, and I am so thankful that I went. It was a very transformational moment for me. Being there had an incredible impact on Zachary too. He knew what abortion is, but to see so many people going into that clinic made it real and not something merely conceptual for him. Having Adam there allowed me to approach some of the guys who were waiting outside. I was able to tell them that they were fathers…that they had babies that wanted to live. I don't know if I was effective in what I said or if I made any difference in the lives of the people there. I do know the power in the prayer of our gathered group. I was drawn to the 5th Chapter of James;

Is anyone among you suffering? He should pray. Is anyone in good spirits? He should sing praise.14 Is anyone among you sick? 6 He should summon the presbyters of the church, and they should pray over him and anoint (him) with oil in the name of the Lord, 15 and the prayer of faith will save the sick person, and the Lord will raise him up. If he has committed any sins, he will be forgiven. 7 16 Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The fervent prayer of a righteous person is very powerful. 17

Elijah was a human being like us; yet he prayed earnestly that it might not rain, and for three years and six months it did not rain upon the land. 18 Then he prayed again, and the sky gave rain and the earth produced its fruit. 19 My brothers, if anyone among you should stray from the truth and someone bring him back, 20 he should know that whoever brings back a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins. 8

There was suffering down there. There was sickness. There were people who have strayed from the truth that need to be brought back. I really sensed a need for a stronger presence and witness by men…fathers. Naomi and some of the other women were so effective in their outreach to the women who were walking up. Naomi was really good in her approach to the guys too. However, I think that the best way to reach the men is to have men reaching out to them. I guarantee that when those guys saw Adam in my arms, so beautiful, so happy…so much in love with his daddy, it had an effect on them. It might not have saved a baby that day, but they saw a father with his children…loving and attempting to communicate to them in a very peaceful and non-condemning way.

I struggle when I ask myself the question, "What are you doing…that really stretches you? Are you doing everything you can???" Christ calls us to radical discipleship, and I haven't been doing all that I can. I want to do more.

Currently, I plan on going back on Saturday. I would love to form a larger group. I would love to become more effective. I want to do whatever the Lord will lead me to do if I can serve Him by reaching out to save babies. My plan is to leave at around 8:30 and stay until 10:30. Is anyone else going?

Philip


written by Philip Klement
in and email to friends
November 2, 2006

0 Comments:

Post a Comment