7/10/2006
Two Times the Grace of God
Last Thursday morning, I picked up a young high school girl, Jennifer, who regularly counsels at an abortion clinic. It was my first time out at this clinic, which was a little intimidating at first, but we kept praying the rosary and asking God to use us this morning. We had tried to share some information with people in some cars who had parked across the street, prior to the clinic's opening, but to no avail. Still, we kept them close in prayer and asked God to use us. Soon after, a few girls began to pull into the clinic driveway (set up so that you have to pull in past a gate and large high stone wall, basically, our only chance at talking to these women is when they are driving in) and they rolled down their window and took information. I began to speak to these girls, not knowing which one was in a crisis pregnancy (and I don't remember, actually, what exactly I said) and I noticed the passenger started to look at me in disbelief. When I handed the driver my rosary beads and told her I had been praying for her this morning, tears began to roll down her face and her friend had become teary and reached over to the other girl and gave her a big hug. After it appeared the girls were really listening to me, I suggested they turn around in the clinic parking lot (ha, I can't believe I actually suggested they pull in, but I guess they had to safely get out of the driveway :)) and pull across the street.

When the girls got out of the car, I gave each of them a big hug and introduced myself and reiterated information about the White Rose (pro-life crisis pregnancy center in Dallas) they asked if I would lead them there and Jennifer and I jumped in my car, prayed for traffic to clear and we lead them to the White Rose center. The center didn't open for another half hour, so the four of us went to McDonald's and talked about everything from the Mavericks to baby names. A couple times, I couldn't help but be humbled by the fact that God had brought the four of us -- so completely different women -- together this morning to share in joy & hope together. The girl (the driver, who was the one actually in a crisis pregnancy) told me that the night before, she had been reading the Bible, and she had asked God to show her a sign if He didn't want her to go through with an abortion. I was completely blown away by this... wow!! Later, she called to say thank you and let me know that she was around 6 weeks pregnant and that she would be in touch. Awesome!!

Story #2

Last Saturday morning, Peter came out with me to pray and counsel. We were praying a rosary, handing out literature and at one point, another car came through the alley towards the clinic (thankfully, this particular clinic is right next store to the White Rose crisis pregnancy center). I began speaking to a mother and her 17 year old daughter. The girl was looking down at her hands, kinda scoffing while the mother began to nod slowly. When I handed her the rosary I was praying on and told her I had been praying for her, tears started to stream down her face. I told them to pull into the White Rose parking lot and we continued to talk. Her mom said something like, "but she's so young" and I said something like, "but that's why she needs you to support her right now and stand by her to have this baby." The girl began to share that she had friends who had had an abortion and they all regretted their decision. I kept emphasizing that the women I saw walk out of the clinic (and this is all true!) were crying or sobbing or so sad. I also remember saying to them (after the mom mentioned that being a single parent was hard, etc.), "Do you have shelter? Do you have a car? No, but mom does? Then you have two more things than most women who have their babies."

Soon, after talking for a bit the girl looked up at me with a big smile on her face and said "let's go get a sonogram!!" and she jumped out of the car and gave me a big hug!! Wow, God is so amazing!! I walked them up stairs to the White Rose, talking about faith in God and the goodness of the White Rose center. The counselor that had seen them later said that during the video (which they show to all pregnant women, informing them on what abortion really is and the terrible effects of it) they were actually laughing -- she said that the girl was SO relieved that she didn't have to go into that terrible clinic! When they left, they each gave Peter and I a hug and thanked us and the mom (of the girl) said she'd be in touch so we could throw a baby shower together!! Wow!! I want to emphasize that I have been praying with much more dedication out in front of these clinics, praying to be humble like Christ, and to be used as his instrument. I have seen even more amazing things besides these two beautiful stories -- unbelievable!! You wouldn't believe the spiritual battles out there. I truly believe we have to pray for the conversion of people entering these places -- you wouldn't believe, sometimes, how much hope they need and how much they need to be touched by God's love!!

Please continue to pray for me this summer, as I counsel (Wed. - Sat. mornings of this week, too) -- and please pray for all the Dallas sidewalk counselors -- it can be scary to be out there, but SUCH a blessing when you have the confidence to step forward and see what God can do!! But most of all, it is PRAYER!! Please pray -- we may not see the good it does until we get to heaven!!

submitted by Lauren Werda
Catholic Pro-Life Committee Sidewalk Counselor Summer Intern
July 10, 2006

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment